It’s now been determined that it was lightning that caused that home explosion a week ago at Snow Lake in Steuben County.
Fire investigators found burn holes where the lightning came out through a gas line in the crawlspace. Investigators now say they think the crawlspace filled with gas after the lightning strike and an appliance kicked on, sparking the explosion that leveled the Steuben County home.
The person living in the house, Danielle Young, fortunately was not home at the time of the explosion. A dog that was in the home in a crate survived somehow.
Some neighbors reportedly felt the explosion as much as four miles away.