Lois Eva (Peters) Fauver, age 83, passed away Monday June 16, 2014 at St Luke Hospital, Maumee, Ohio into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. She was born May 14, 1931 in Haskins, Ohio the fifth of 12 children to Cleo and Mary (Minninger) Peters.
In the 1930’s life was very hard due to the recession, requiring all family members, regardless of age, to do as much a possible to help support the family operation including moving around when work could be found. When she was 11 her family moved to a house in Clinton Township on Ohio State Route 2 west of Fulton County Road 16 and attended the Pettisville School System. The house burnt when she was 13 and the family then moved to State Route 2 west of Fulton County Road 17 to a small house on the site which is now occupied by M. E. Miller Tire. This house had no electricity as there were no electric lines in the mile at that time. When she was nearly 15 the family moved to a home in Chesterfield Township on Fulton County Road K approximately ½ mile west of State Route 108. There, she attended Chesterfield Township School for two years as a freshman and sophomore until March of 1947 when she ran away from home due to her parents not wanting her to continue school in order to stay home to take care of the 7 younger children. She was picked up by the county sheriff’s department and went before County Peas Judge Barber. He was inclined to send her back home, however when she said she would just run away again, he decided to make her a ward of the court and placed her into the home of Rev. Stanford of the Methodist Church until a more permanent place could be found. She then began to attend Wauseon High School finishing her sophomore year.
After a short period of time with the Standforth’s, she moved in with Mr. & Mrs. Howard (Mac) & Emma Macpherson also members of the Methodist Church, who owned a poultry hatchery on the west side of N. Fulton Street north of Elm Street just south of the Methodist Church, living with them above the hatchery to care for Mrs. Macpherson who was ailing. Following Mrs. Macpherson’s death, she was then taken in by Roger and Dorothy Waldeck who owned the local 5 & 10 in Wauseon to assist with helping care for their two young daughters where they lived on the west side of Marshall Street south of Elm Street.
During her senior year in high school she was hired part time by the local telephone company as a switchboard operator. At that time, all phones were manually connected by operators who plugged in cables to jacks to make the necessary connections. Lois graduated from Wauseon High School in 1949 and continued to work for the phone company until she stopped to raise her family. Sharing a bedroom with the Waldeck daughters became a problem since she sometimes was required to work late at the phone company, and in her senior year she moved in with Art and Opal Ernie who was a vacuum cleaner salesman and live on E Elm Street across from the location of the former Elm Street School.
On February 11, 1950 in Franklin, Ohio she was married to Frank M. Fauver of Wauseon, Ohio by Reverend Stanforth with whom she had earlier stayed. Now married, Lois moved in with Frank on West Leggett Street in Frank’s father’s home. Living on West Leggett Street for nearly two years, they purchased a two bedroom home in the fall of 1951 in a new post war subdivision on the south side of Douglas Drive east of Lawrence Avenue. Together they had four children, Curtis W. in 1951, Warren D. in 1952, Kevin L. in 1957, who died 1 day after birth and Pamela J. in 1958.
In April 1959 Frank’s father died and now with three children and needing a larger home they moved back to his father’s West Leggett Street residence where they finished raising their children. In 1986, believing a single story home more appropriate for their retirement years, they moved to the current residence at 403 N. Edgewood Drive across from the Fulton County Health Center where she continued to live until her death.
Lois was a member of Christ United Methodist Church for over 65 years and served the church in a number of ways including as its first church secretary. Lois was very active in raising her two sons and daughter. She served as Cub Scout Den Mother for both of her sons, Girl Scout Leader for 7 years while her daughter was in Girl Scouts and also on the Boy Scout Fulton-Henry County District Committee. She enjoyed camping, traveling, boating, water skiing and photography with her family. She also enjoyed cooking and baking, making peanut brittle, Bacardi rum cake, homemade bread which she loved to give to friends and neighbors. She also enjoyed watching hummingbirds prior to her eyesight failing and was very proud of the many hummingbird collectibles which she received as gifts over the years.
In 1973 she traveled to Europe with her husband Frank to visit the countries which Frank had fought during World War II. She enjoyed traveling very much and made many friends during the trip.
Lois also was very active in her community serving as American Red Cross Blood Bank chairman for Wauseon for over 30 years in the 1960’s, 70, and 80’s. She implemented the “Vial of Life” program in Fulton county in the 1970‘s, and served as a volunteer Cherry Coat at Fulton County Hospital and helped organize the first Fulton County chapter of AARP and served as treasure several times. She also was Publicity Chairman a number of years for the Fulton County Chapter of P.E.R.S. members. She was a member of the American Legion Women’s Auxiliary, The VFW Post 7424 Women’s’ Auxiliary and served as Post chairman for the VFW National Home for Children. She was a member of the Defiance DAV Chapter 36 Auxiliary.
Having stayed home to raise her children until they were all of school age Lois was employed as a secretary by LaChoy Food Products, Archbold, Roger Miller Ford, Wauseon, Markey Bronze, Delta, Turnpike Travelers, Wauseon, Schmidt Implement, Archbold, the Wauseon License Bureau and later by Defiance Memorials as a monument sales representative for over 14 years, This was the job she enjoyed the most as she enjoyed meeting new people and was very successful, retiring in 1997.
Lois was a very strong willed, independent person who at times could best be described as cantankerous. Despite those occasions, she was also a very loving and thoughtful person who was loved by all in her family.
Lois is survived by her sons Curtis (Cathy) W. II of Wauseon, Warren D.(Sue) of Bowling Green and daughter Pamela J. Fauver of Napoleon, sister Ilva (Junior) Bourne of Wauseon, 13 grandchildren, 29 great grand children, 4 great-great grand children, and many nieces, nephews and grand nieces and nephews all of whom she loved and enjoyed very much.
She was preceded in death by her Husband Frank in February, infant son Kevin Lynn, her mother Mary and father Cleo Peters, brothers Glen, Earl, Kenneth, Richard, Larry and Herbert, and sisters Valetta, Clarabelle, Maxine (Charles) Richards and Marvella Moore.
Visitation will be at the Edgar-Grisier Funeral Home in Wauseon on Thursday June 19th, 2014 from 2:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Her funeral will be held Friday June 20, 2014 at 10:00 AM at Christ United Methodist Church with internment following at Wauseon Union Cemetery with Rev. Ruth Ann Scoby officiating.
The family requests that those wishing to make memorial contributions be given to Christ United Methodist Church, The VFW National Children’s Home or the Fulton County American Red Cross.